Rangers’ Calhoun undergoes surgery for fractured jaw

Texas Rangers outfielder Willie Calhoun was undergoing surgery Monday for a fractured jaw sustained when hit in the face by a 95 mph fastball a day earlier.Before Monday’s spring training game against the Oakland Athletics, Rangers manager Chris Woodard indicated doctors were determining what procedure to use on Calhoun. It could entail having his mouth wired shut or inserting a plate.”Hopefully, they don’t have to wire his mouth shut,” Woodward said, via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.Calhoun reportedly also was being evaluated for a concussion, but his status would be determined after clearing surgery.”The concussion symptoms we’ll have to monitor (if and) as they come,” Woodward said, via the Telegram. “If Willie is OK concussion-wise, hopefully, he might not be out that long.”Woodward and the Rangers were making contingency plans just in case. Nick Solak would be Calhoun’s likely replacement in the lineup and in left field when the regular season starts.”If the season started today, (Solak) would be in left field,” Woodward said, via the Dallas Morning News. “I planned to potentially play him there some anyway. You hate to talk about opportunities, but this is what it is. With Willie out, we owe it to him to try to win while he’s gone and this presents an opportunity for us. There is now a pathway to getting Nick at-bats to start the season and that’s what I’m looking at.”Los Angeles Dodgers left-hander Julio Urias threw the first-inning pitch that hit Calhoun during Sunday’s game at Surprise, Ariz.Calhoun, 25, stayed on the ground for an extended period after the pitch. He got up under his own power but was carted off the field and taken to nearby Dignity Health St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix. Woodward and his wife Erin, a trauma nurse, arrived to be with Calhoun and his family at the hospital. The Calhouns also were visited by Rangers general manager Jon Daniels and other staff members.At the hospital Sunday night, Woodward said he got a signal from Calhoun.”You could tell he was frustrated because he was mad about what happened,” he said. “He gave me the thumbs up like, ‘Don’t worry, I’m coming.’ Knowing Willie, he’s going to fight to get back out there.”Calhoun’s parents were watching their first game in Arizona on Sunday after arriving the day before.